Laws ensuring commercial insurance coverage for telehealth increasing among states (mobi health news)
- According to a survey report by law firm Foley & Lardner, 42 US states and the District of Columbia have statutes in place regarding commercial insurance coverage for telehealth as of October.
- However, only 16 states address reimbursement specifically, with 10 having payment parity on rates for virtual and in-person visits.
Analysis and Comments
- According to a white paper from FAIR Health, telehealth usage has grown from less than 5% nationally in 2012 to 45% in 2017 – with overall consumer experience with virtual consultations seemingly positive.
- With many state laws previously inhibiting the growth of telehealth services, the report shows a growing number of laws being passed that encourage the adoption – with the trend being towards “favourable treatment” for telehealth.
- See here for the full report.